Professor Edward W. Randall
BA, MSc, D.Phil, MA, FRCS, C.Chem.
Email: email@example.comTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 6352
Applications of multinuclear NMR spectroscopy and imaging in solution and in solid state samples at high field (14.1 T). ESR and ENDOR spectroscopy.
The spectroscopy utilizes two frequency dimensions as well as MAS/CP techniques. Stray-field (STRAFI) MRI is used for solids and porous media: polymers, ceramics, dental cements and soils, and ingressing liquids. Soils include rice paddy field and dark earth soils from archaeological sites in the Amazon basin. New work is c.w. and pulsed EDR and ENDOR spectra of soils.
Personal website: webspace.qmul.ac.uk/ewrandall
- A.R. Preston and E.W. Randall (2014 in preparation), Magnetic Resonance: MRI using Stray Fields, online reference module in Chemistry, Molecular Sciences and Chemical Engineering, Academic Press.
- R. Burton Smith and E.W. Randall (2014 in preparation), EPR, ENDOR and NMR Studies of some Amazonian Terra Preta Soils.
- E.W. Randall (2011), Stray Field (STRAFI) NMR: Imaging in Large Field Gradients, a chapter in The Encyclopaedia of NMR, eds. R.K. Harris and R. Wasylishen, Wiley.
- E.W. Randall (2009), The Early NMR Discussion Group: a personal memoir, Royal Chemical Society, Historical Group, 18-29.
- De Nobili M, Contin M, Mahieu N, Randall E W, Brookes P C, Assessment of chemical and biochemical stabilization of organic C in soils from the long-term experiments at Rothamsted (UK). Waste management (New York, N.Y.) 2008;28(4):723-33.
- S. E. Roberts, C. M. Heppell, D. E. Whalley, and E. W. Randall (2008) The Effect of Organic Matter Composition on Herbicide Sorption in Ground water - fed Chalk Rivers, Chemosphere
- M. De Nobili, M. Contin, N.Mahieu, E. W. Randall and P. C. Brookes (2008) Role of organic matter stabilization in carbon sequestration, Biol Frt. Soils
- T. G. Nunes, E. W. Randall and G. Guillot (2007) The first proton NMR Imaging of ice; Stray-field imaging and relaxation studies, Solid state NMR, 32, 59 - 65.
- N. Poirier, S. Sohi, N. Mahieu, J.Gaunt, E. W. Randall, D.S.Powlson and R. P. Evershed (2005) Chemical Composition of Measureable Pools of Soil Organic Matter, Organic Geochemistry, 36, 1174 - 1190.
- N. R. A. Bird, A. R. Preston, E. W. Randall , W. R. Whalley, and A.P.Whitmore (2005) Measurement of the Size-Distribution of Water-Filled Pores at Different Matric Potential by STRAFI-NMR Relaxation -Time Measurements, European Journal of Soil Science, 5, 135 - 143.
- G. I. Ivanova and E. W. Randall, 13C NMR and Mass Spectrometry of Soil Organic Matter, Central European Journal of Chemistry, 2003, 1, 10 – 25.
- P. Kinchesh, S. A. Smith, A. R. Preston, and E. W. Randall, GAMMA Simulations of Stray Field Responses: Slice Thickness and Pulse Calibration, J. Magn. Reson., 2002, 154, 252 - 260.
- N. Mahieu, D. C. Olk, and E. W. Randall, Multinuclear NMR Analysis of Two Humic Acid Fractions from Lowland Rice Soils, J. of Enviromental Quality, 2002, 31, 421 - 430.
- P. Kinchesh, A. A. Samoilenko, A. R. Preston, and E. W. Randall, STRAFI-NMR of Soil Water: Development of a New Large Probe and Preliminary Results, J. of Enviromental Quality, 2002, 31, 494 - 499.
- E. W. Randall, A. A. Samoilenko and R. Fu, STRAFI-Imaging of Paramagnetic Solids: 31P Paramagnetic Displacements, Magn. Reson. in Chem., 2002, 40, 93 - 95.
- E. W. Randall, A. A. Samoilenko, R. Fu, W. W. Brey and P. L. Gor’kov, New Heteronuclear STRAFI-Imaging on the 19.6 T Magnet, Annual Research Review for 2001, The National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Tallahassee, 2002, 226 -227.
- E. W. Randall, A. A. Samoilenko, R. Fu, W. W. Brey and P. L. Gor’kov, High Spatial Resolution of Solids Using a New Fourier Transform STRAFI-Probe, Annual Research Review for 2001, The National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Tallahassee, 2002, 218 - 219.
- E. W. Randall, Stray Field (STRAFI) NMR: Imaging in Large Field-Gradients, a Chapter in Volume 9 (Advances in NMR) of The Encyclopedia of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, eds. D. M. Grant and R. K. Harris, 2002, John Wiley and Sons, pp., 1 50 – 164.
- D. G. Gillies, B. Newling and E. W. Randall, 31P Solid State NMR in High Field Gradients: Prospects for Imaging Bone Using the Long Echo-train Summation Technique (LETS), J. Magnetic. Reson., 2001, 151, 235 - 241.
- A. R. Preston, N. R. A. Bird, P. Kinchesh, E. W. Randall, and W. R. Whalley, STRAFI NMR Studies of Water Transport in Soil, Magnetic Reson. Imaging, 2001, 19, 561 - 563.
- E. W. Randall Magnetic Resonance: MRI using Stray Fields, in Encyclopaedia of Spectroscopy and Spectrometry, ed., J. C. Lindon, Academic Press, 2000, pages 1396 - 1403.
- N. Mahieu, D. C. Olk and E. W. Randall, 31P NMR Analysis of Two Humic Acid Fractions from Intensively Cropped Lowland Rice Soils, European J. of Soil Science, 2000, 51, 391 - 402.
- N. Mahieu, D. C. Olk and E. W. Randall, Accumulation of Heterocyclic N in Humified Organic Matter: a 15N NMR Study of Lowland Rice Soils, European J. of Soil Science, 2000, 51, 379 – 389.
- A. R. Preston, P. Kinchesh and E. W. Randall, Calibration of the Stray Field by a New Heteronuclear Method and by Field Profiling, J. Magnetic. Reson., 2000, 146, 359 – 362.
- S. A. Smith and E. W. Randall, STRAFI: a GAMMA Investigation, Annual Report for 1998, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Tallahassee, 1999, 184.
- N. Mahieu, D. S. Powlson, and E. W. Randall, Statistical Analysis of Published 13 C CPMAS NMR Spectra of Soil Organic Matter, Soils Science Society of America Journal, 1999, 63, 307 – 319.
- E. W. Randall, T. G. Nunes, G. Guillot and P. R. Bodart, Long Hahn Echo-Trains in Stray-Field Gradients for Deuterium Observation: Prospects for Imaging, Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, 1999, 14, 165 – 172.
- E. W. Randall, A. A. Samoilenko, and R. Fu, Hahn Echo-Trains from 14N in Solids by the Stray-Field Method: Prospects for Imaging using Long Echo-Train Summation (LETS), Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, 1999, 14, 173 – 179.
- M. De Nobili, P. C. Brookes, M. Contin, N. Mahieu and E.W.Randall, Changes in Free and Mineral Bound Humic and Fulvic Acids due to Changing Soil Managements, Humic Substances Environment,1999, 1, 17 – 21.
- G. Ivanova and E. W. Randall, 1H and 13C NMR Study of Soil Organic Matter at 14.1T, Bulgarian Chemical Communications, 1999, 31, 172 – 183.
- E. W. Randall, A. A. Samoilenko and R. Fu, NMR Imaging of N -14 in Solids by the Stray Field Technique, Annual Report for 1997, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Tallahassee, 1998, 180.
- A. A. Samoilenko, E. W. Randall, and V. Soghomonian, Stray Field Imaging at High Magnetic Fields, Annual Report for 1997, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, Tallahassee, 1998, 184.
- D. C. Olk, K. G. Cassman, N. Mahieu, E. W. Randall, Conserved chemical properties of young humic acid fractions in tropical lowland soil under intensive irrigated rice cropping, European Journal of Soil Science,1998, 49, 337 –349.
- N. Mahieu, D. S. Powlson, and E. W. Randall, A Review of Soil Organic Matter as seen by 13C NMR, Proceedings of the 16th World Congress of Soil Science, 1998 - Montpellier - 20-26 Aug. 1998.
- T. Nunes, P. Bodart and E. W. Randall Stray-Field Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Hardening Materials, in ‘Spatially Resolved Magnetic Resonance’, eds., P. Blumler, P. Blümich, R. Botto and E. Fukushima, Wiley-VCH, 1998, p. 287.
- E.W.Randall, N.Mahieu, and G. I. Ivanova, NMR Studies of Soil: Spectroscopy and Imaging, Geoderma, 1997, 80, 307 – 325.
- T. Nunes, P. Bodart and E. W. Randall, The Hardening of Portland Cement Studied by 1H Stray-Field Imaging: Influence of Concentration and Evaporation Rate of Water, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on NMR Spectroscopy of Cement Based Materials, P. Colombat, H. Zanni, eds., Springer Verlag, 1997.
- Luo Xiangning and E. W. Randall, Study of Humus in Soil from Regularly Tilled Field by High Magnetic Field NMR, FENXI CESHI XUEBAO (Journal of Instrumental Analysis), 1997, 51 – 54.
- P. Bodart, T. Nunes and E. W. Randall, STRAFI Imaging of Solids: The Spatial Resolution for Quadrupolar Nuclei with Spin I = 3/2, Proceedings of the 28th Congress Ampere, Canterbury, 1996, Applied Magnetic Resonance, 1997, 12, 269 –273.
- The Determination of Organic Structures by Physical Methods, Volume 6, 1976, Academic Press.
- Pears Cyclopedia, 1979-1989. Science section.