- Semester 1: Weeks 3, 6, 9; Semester 2: Weeks 3, 6, 9: Wednesday 10 am - 11 am
- Semester 1: Weeks 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12: Wednesday 9 am - 11 am
- Semester 1: Weeks 3, 6, 9: Wednesday 9 am - 10 am
- Semester 2: Weeks 1: Wednesday 9 am - 10 am
- Semester 2: Weeks 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11: Wednesday 9 am - 10 am
- Semester 2: Weeks 2, 5, 10, 11: Wednesday 10 am - 12 pm
Contact: Dr Tippu Sheriff
This module is intended for students studying on chemistry-based degree programmes (including F100, F103, 9A32, F152, 2L22 and F154).
This module is structured around three main key areas:
(1) Acquiring mathematical skills for problem solving in chemistry.
The module will explain how mathematics underpin chemistry and will support students in acquiring a variety of key mathematical skills used to solve problem in chemistry. The material covered in this module includes: basic numeracy skills, units and order of magnitude, simple mathematical calculations, introductory calculus (differentiation/integration), complex numbers, matrices, geometry, application of probability theory in chemistry and statistical analysis of data.
(2) Considering the role of Chemistry in the ¿real world¿ and Developing graduate skills.
Through personal investigation and series of talk of professional Chemists, students will be encouraged to consider the role of chemistry in an applied context and gain a more global perspective of their discipline. Students will also develop through this module, oral and written communication skills and some basic literature search technique.
(3) Exploring Career Pathways.
Students will be given an opportunity to explore various career choices, to reflect on their own career aspirations and to meet with professional Chemists from diverse backgrounds.
Connected course(s): UDF DATA
Assessment: 100.0% Coursework