- Semester 2: Weeks 3, 5, 9: Wednesday 10 am - 11 am
- Semester 2: Weeks 16: Thursday 12 pm - 1 pm
- Semester 2: Weeks 11: Wednesday 2 pm - 5 pm
- Semester 2: Weeks 2, 4, 6, 10: Monday 2 pm - 5 pm
- Semester 2: Weeks 3, 5, 9, 11: Monday 1 pm - 5 pm
- Semester 2: Weeks 3: Tuesday 3 pm - 5 pm
- Semester 2: Weeks 5: Tuesday 2 pm - 5 pm
Contact: Dr Ewan Main
This module teaches the practical and analytical skills required for biochemists. This module is structured around four main themes:
(1) Acquiring Practical Skills in Biochemistry. Starting with basic laboratory safety and routine laboratory procedures, the module then move on through protein extraction and purification to microbiological and physiological techniques and techniques of practical chemistry.
(2) Acquiring Essential Practical Skills for Biochemistry. This module will support students in acquiring a variety of key skills such as experimental report and essay writing, data and information handling, oral and written communication skills, literature search techniques and appropriate use of referencing and citations. Students will also be introduced to the use of statistical analysis to support biochemistry.
(3) Considering the role of Biochemistry in the ¿real world¿. Through personal investigations and workshops on critical thinking, students will be encouraged to consider the role of biochemistry in an applied context and gain a more global perspective of their discipline.
(4) Exploring Career Pathways. Students will be given an opportunity to explore various career choices, to reflect on their own career aspirations.
Connected course(s): UDF DATA
Assessment: 60.0% Coursework, 40.0% Practical