Within the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences we offer programmes spanning biology, chemistry and psychology. To find out more select your level of study:
- Postgraduate research
- Study abroad (incoming students)
- Science without Borders
Why study here?
- We are one of only 24 universities who make up the prestigious Russell Group.
By choosing to study at a Russell Group university, you will have access to excellent teaching and top class research. You will be taught by staff who are working at the cutting edge of research in their disciplines. Staff who are actively involved in research as well as teaching are up-to-date with their subjects, enthusiastic about sharing this knowledge with you and very good at explaining it.
2. Our graduates are consistently in the top 10 for graduate starting salaries in the UK (The Sunday Times University Guide 2012).
Employers specifically target Russell Group universities because of the calibre of these institutions' graduates. They know that students from these universities will have developed excellent transferable skills during their degree programme. Hear from Queen Mary students, including students from the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, about the opportunities they had to develop their employability:
- 3. We are one of the UK’s elite research departments according to the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- The results of the REF reveal that 87% of the School’s Chemistry research is rated as either 4-star (world-leading) or 3-star (internationally excellent) in terms of originality, significance, and rigour and for Biology this figure was 82%. Read about some of the research highlights from our 2014 REF submission.
4. Our students think we are excellent.
The National Student Survey 2013 results show that students in the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences are 96% satisfied with their teaching (Genetics), 90% satisfied with their teaching (Chemistry), and 89% satisfied with the organisation and management of their course (Molecular Biology).
5. Queen Mary is the only campus-based university in central London.
Many of our first year undergraduates will find accommodation in our award-winning, £30 million on-campus Student Village where they will benefit from excellent facilities, including shops, cafes, launderettes and 24-hour security.
Information for parents
Our undergraduate open days are held several times a year and are a chance for you to meet staff and current students to find out more about studying in our School and living at Queen Mary University.
Our Guide to Higher Education for Parents and Carers provides information about applying, student finance, choosing the right course and the benefits of higher education.
Information for schools
We are enthusiastic about running events for schools and building links with other education providers. For more information about the events we offer visit our Schools Outreach pages.