Do you want to work at the forefront of the latest research? Explore your academic interests in depth? Develop new knowledge and skills? Advance your career, or embark on a completely new path? A postgraduate degree from the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences (SBCS) at Queen Mary University of London can help you achieve your ambitions.
- World-class research – QMUL ranked 9th in the UK (REF 2014) among multi-faculty universities
- In the recent national assessment of university research (REF 2014), we performed well in the main areas of our research: our Clinical Medical submission was placed 7th in the UK; Biology and Chemistry were both placed 22nd in the UK; Materials was placed 10th
- Opportunities for interdisciplinary research in biology, psychology and chemistry
- Teaching by international leaders in their field
- In the top 100 universities in the world (Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2015)
- Member of the Russell Group of leading UK universities
- Attractive residential campus in London
- Close links with industry partners including the Environment Agency; Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew; the Natural History Museum; the Institute of Zoology; GlaxoSmithKline; Proctor & Gamble and AstraZeneca.
- Fieldwork in inspiring locations for ecological programmes
I chose QMUL for three main reasons: first, because it is based on practical application rather than formal lectures; second, because the available research topics cover contemporary ecological issues; and finally because independent thought is enthusiastically encouraged by supervisors.
Matteo Dossena, Aquatic Ecology MSc student
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – in the most recent national assessment of research quality, we were placed ninth in the UK in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014), among multi-faculty universities. This means that the teaching on our postgraduate programmes is directly inspired by the world-leading research of our academics.
Preparing you for your future
Our programmes prepare you for professional life or further study, and we offer a commitment to generous financial support in the form of studentships and scholarships. We also offer a friendly, self-contained residential campus – one of the largest in the capital – at our main site in Mile End. Find out more about the careers support you will have access to on our careers page or visit the QMUL's Careers & Enterprise Centre.
We have a rich history in London with our roots in Europe’s first public hospital, St Barts; England’s first medical school, The London; one of the first colleges to provide higher education to women, Westfield College; and the Victorian philanthropic project, the People’s Palace at Mile End. This commitment to the local area and public good underpins our work today, especially in our collaborations with hospitals, cultural organisations, government, charities, businesses and industry.
When you join SBCS, you will be welcomed into a diverse and supportive family of staff and students from all over the world, with a wide variety of life experience. This makes SBCS a place of academic and personal self-discovery, and postgraduate study with us a stimulating – often life-changing – experience.