International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
Commission on Nomenclature of Organic Chemistry
Part II: Modification of the Degree of Hydrogenation and Substitution Derivatives of Phane Parent Hydrides
(IUPAC Recommendations 2002)
Prepared for publication by H. A. Favre1 and W. H. Powell2
1 2031, rue Leclaire, Montréal, QUÉ, H1V 3A1, Canada
2 1436 Havencrest Ct., Columbus, OH 43220-3841, USA
Members of Working Party (1998-2002):
H. A. Favre (Convener), D. Hellwinkel, W. H. Powell, H. A. Smith, Jr, S. S.-C. Tsay.
World Wide Web version Prepared by G. P. Moss
School of Biological and Chemical Sciences, Queen Mary University of London,
Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS, UK
These Rules are as close as possible to the published version [see Pure Appl. Chem., 2002, 74, 809-834. Copyright IUPAC; reproduced with the permission of IUPAC]. If you need to cite these rules please quote this reference as their source.
A PDF of this document is available.
In setting up the World Wide Web version some errors have been detected. The changes have been marked by which is a link to details of the change and where it applies. For problems in converting the text into a World Wide Web version see the IUPAC nomenclature home page.
Any comments, corrections or suggestions for a future edition should be e-mailed to email@example.com
Abstract: Cyclophane and linear phane systems are considered as parent hydrides. Their derivatives are named in conformity with the principles, rules and conventions prescribed for naming organic compounds. The following nomenclatural features are described: indicated and added hydrogen, order of seniority for numbering, substituents expressed as suffixes, substituents cited as prefixes, phane parent hydrides modified by addition or subtraction of hydrogen atoms, and polyfunctional derivatives.
- PhII-1. Numbering
- PhII-2. Specification of indicated hydrogen
- PhII-3. Substituent groups derived from phane parent hydrides
- PhII-4. Substitutive nomenclature for phane parent hydrides
- PhII-4.1. Phane parent hydrides with characteristic group suffixes.
- PhII-4.2. Radicals and ions derived from phane parent hydrides.
- PhII-4.3. Substituents of phane parent hydrides cited as prefixes
- PhII-5. Phane parent hydrides modified by the addition or subtraction of hydrogen atoms
- PhII-5.1. 'Hydro-' prefixes.
- PhII-5.2. 'Dehydro-' prefixes
- PhII-5.3. Ene and yne endings
- PhII-5.4. Double bonds between mancude amplificants and alternating atoms or chains.
- PhII-5.5. Double bonds between hydrogenated mancude amplificants and atoms or chains.
- PhII-6. Polysubstituted derivatives of phane parent hydrides
- PhII-6.1. Principal characteristic groups.
- PhII-6.2. Name component order for polysubstituted phane derivatives.
- PhII-6.3. Order for assignment of lowest locants for phane derivatives.
Continued with Introduction
Return to IUPAC nomenclature home page