Reaction: ATP-dependent cleavage of peptide bonds with broad specificity.
Other name(s): HslUV; HslV-HslU; HslV peptidase; ATP-dependent HslV-HslU proteinase; caseinolytic protease X; caseinolytic proteinase X; ClpXP ATP-dependent protease; ClpXP protease; ClpXP serine proteinase; Escherichia coli ClpXP serine proteinase; HslUV protease; HslUV proteinase; HslVU protease; HslVU proteinase; protease HslVU; proteinase HslUV
Comments: The HslU subunit of the HslUHslV complex functions as an ATP dependent unfoldase. The binding of ATP and its subsequent hydrolysis by HslU are essential for unfolding of protein substrates subsequently hydrolysed by HslV . HslU recognizes the N-terminal part of its protein substrates and unfolds these before they are guided to HslV for hydrolysis . In peptidase family T1.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MEROPS Metacyc, PDB, CAS registry number:
1. Wang, J., Rho, S.H., Park, H.H. and Eom, S.H. Correction of X-ray intensities from an HslV-HslU co-crystal containing lattice-translocation defects. Acta Crystallogr. D Biol. Crystallogr. 61 (2005) 932-941. [PMID: 15983416]
2. Nishii, W. and Takahashi, K. Determination of the cleavage sites in SulA, a cell division inhibitor, by the ATP-dependent HslVU protease from Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 553 (2003) 351-354. [PMID: 14572649]
3. Ramachandran, R., Hartmann, C., Song, H.K., Huber, R. and Bochtler, M. Functional interactions of HslV (ClpQ) with the ATPase HslU (ClpY). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99 (2002) 7396-7401. [PMID: 12032294]
4. Yoo, S.J., Seol, J.H., Shin, D.H., Rohrwild, M., Kang, M.S., Tanaka, K., Goldberg, A.L. and Chung, C.H. Purification and characterization of the heat shock proteins HslV and HslU that form a new ATP-dependent protease in Escherichia coli. J. Biol. Chem. 271 (1996) 14035-14040. [PMID: 8662828]
5. Yoo, S.J., Seol, J.H., Seong, I.S., Kang, M.S. and Chung, C.H. ATP binding, but not its hydrolysis, is required for assembly and proteolytic activity of the HslVU protease in Escherichia coli. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 238 (1997) 581-585. [PMID: 9299555]
6. Kanemori, M., Nishihara, K., Yanagi, H. and Yura, T. Synergistic roles of HslVU and other ATP-dependent proteases in controlling in vivo turnover of σ32 and abnormal proteins in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 179 (1997) 7219-7225. [PMID: 9393683]
7. Burton, R.E., Baker, T.A. and Sauer, R.T. Nucleotide-dependent substrate recognition by the AAA+ HslUV protease. Nat Struct Mol Biol 12 (2005) 245-251. [PMID: 15696175]