Reaction: 2 a 1,2-diacyl-3-O-(β-D-galactosyl)-sn-glycerol = a 1,2-diacyl-3-O-[β-D-galactosyl-(1→6)-β-D-galactosyl]-sn-glycerol + a 1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol
For diagram of reaction click here.
Glossary: a 1,2-diacyl-3-O-(β-D-galactosyl)-sn-glycerol = monogalactosyldiacylglycerol
Other name(s): galactolipid-galactolipid galactosyltransferase; galactolipid:galactolipid galactosyltransferase; interlipid galactosyltransferase; GGGT; DGDG synthase (ambiguous); digalactosyldiacylglycerol synthase (ambiguous); 3-(β-D-galactosyl)-1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol:mono-3-(β-D-galactosyl)-1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol β-D-galactosyltransferase; 3-(β-D-galactosyl)-1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol:3-(β-D-galactosyl)-1,2-diacyl-sn-glycerol β-D-galactosyltransferase; SFR2 (gene name)
Systematic name: 1,2-diacyl-3-O-(β-D-galactosyl)-sn-glycerol:1,2-diacyl-3-O-(β-D-galactosyl)-sn-glycerol β-D-galactosyltransferase
Comments: The enzyme converts monogalactosyldiacylglycerol to digalactosyldiacylglycerol, trigalactosyldiacylglycerol and tetragalactosyldiacylglycerol. All residues are connected by β linkages. The activity is localized to chloroplast envelope membranes, but it does not contribute to net galactolipid synthesis in plants, which is performed by EC 18.104.22.168, monogalactosyldiacylglycerol synthase, and EC 22.214.171.124, digalactosyldiacylglycerol synthase. Note that the β,β-digalactosyldiacylglycerol formed by this enzyme is different from the more common α,β-digalactosyldiacylglycerol formed by EC 126.96.36.199. The enzyme provides an important mechanism for the stabilization of the chloroplast membranes during freezing and drought stress.
Links to other databases: BRENDA, EXPASY, KEGG, MetaCyc, CAS registry number: 66676-74-2
1. Dorne, A.-J., Block, M.A., Joyard, J. and Douce, R. The galactolipid-galactolipid galactosyltransferase is located on the outer surface of the outer-membrane of the chloroplast envelope. FEBS Lett. 145 (1982) 30-34.
2. Heemskerk, J.W.M., Wintermans, J.F.G.M., Joyard, J., Block, M.A., Dorne, A.-J. and Douce, R. Localization of galactolipid:galactolipid galactosyltransferase and acyltransferase in outer envelope membrane of spinach chloroplasts. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 877 (1986) 281-289.
3. Heemskerk, J.W.M., Jacobs, F.H.H. and Wintermans, J.F.G.M. UDPgalactose-independent synthesis of monogalactosyldiacylglycerol. An enzymatic activity of the spinach chloroplast envelope. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 961 (1988) 38-47.
4. Kelly, A.A., Froehlich, J.E. and Dörmann, P. Disruption of the two digalactosyldiacylglycerol synthase genes DGD1 and DGD2 in Arabidopsis reveals the existence of an additional enzyme of galactolipid synthesis. Plant Cell 15 (2003) 2694-2706. [PMID: 14600212]
5. Benning, C. and Ohta, H. Three enzyme systems for galactoglycerolipid biosynthesis are coordinately regulated in plants. J. Biol. Chem. 280 (2005) 2397-2400. [PMID: 15590685]
6. Fourrier, N., Bedard, J., Lopez-Juez, E., Barbrook, A., Bowyer, J., Jarvis, P., Warren, G. and Thorlby, G. A role for SENSITIVE TO FREEZING2 in protecting chloroplasts against freeze-induced damage in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 55 (2008) 734-745. [PMID: 18466306]
7. Moellering, E.R., Muthan, B. and Benning, C. Freezing tolerance in plants requires lipid remodeling at the outer chloroplast membrane. Science 330 (2010) 226-228. [PMID: 20798281]